JOB ADVERT AT UWEC
Uganda Wildlife Conservation Education Centre (UWEC) is a fully-fledged statutory body under the Ministry of Tourism Wildlife and Antiquities established by the UWEC Act, 2015. The mandate of UWEC is;
• To conduct and manage conservation education
• To showcase Uganda’s unique wildlife heritage and ecosystem
• To establish and manage wildlife bio-bank
• Conduct rescue, rehabilitation and release of wildlife species
• Carry out stocking and restocking of indigenous and exotic wildlife
• To promote wildlife breeding for conservation and commercial purposes
Veterinarian [Number of Vacancies: Two]
The veterinarian will report to the Manager, Animal and Horticulture Department and will ensure that management of the zoo animal health program is well planned and implemented. This entails overseeing both preventive and curative treatment for all zoo animals to manage diseases, injuries and any other ailments. The ideal candidates should be physically fit, with stamina and with passion for wildlife. S/he should be qualified with Bachelor’s Degree in Veterinary Medicine with a minimum of two years experience in clinical practice with wildlife. He/she should be skilled in darting technology and anaesthesia for several species.
He/ she should also be registered with the Uganda Veterinary Board and Uganda Veterinary Association (attach certificates).
Duties and Responsibilities
• Design and implement a preventive medicine program for zoo animals including treatment of sick animals
• Collecting animal samples and analyzing them or referring them to laboratories
• Overseeing staff at the Veterinary Animal Hospital, This includes supervision functions, report submission, appraisals, planning and budgets for the hospital requirements (equipment drugs and tools). Other functions include assigning operational chores and working with the animal keepers in harmony to deliver quality service in animal care giving at UWEC.
• Overseeing planning and operations at the animal hospital at UWEC
• Submitting quarterly and annual work plans with budgets and reporting on performance.
• Supervising staff at the Veterinary Hospital and leading schedules of work
• Early detection of disease, diagnosis and treatment
• Restraining Animals and advising on hand raising among others
• Animal rescue operations/procedures and admitting of rescued animals
• Providing health interventions and care for orphan, rescued and sick wildlife
• Designing wildlife health monitoring procedures and a database of conditions
• Data entries, analysis and reports for medical cases, and treatments made.
• Inspection of animal food and diets to ensure animal nutrition is well met
• Participating in meetings, planning and documenting works.
• Reviewing and designing standard operating procedures.
• Conducting autopsies, preserving tissues specimen and reporting
• Conducting capture and translocation of wildlife
• Conducting research at the centre in line with your job function.
• Establishing linkages with other entities in the wildlife and veterinary fraternity.
• Any other duties assigned to you by the department
Business and Programs Officer (1)
DEPARTMENT: Finance and Administration
GRADE: W 3
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Manager Finance and Administration
Directly supervises: None
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Design and develop income generating program for the Centre.
2. Manage and continuously review existing programs.
3. Collaborate with other departments to ensure that displayed animals are in good health condition to be used for the programs.
4. Enforce the implementation of health and safety manual or standards in all programs
5. Update website, social media etc……
6. Design and rollout promotional materials for the programs
7. Market the programs through trip advisor, firm treats, tour operators and ensure continuous growth of business
8. Support the dissemination of conservation education messages in all visitor programs
9. Build and manage relationships with donors, corporations, foundations and government.
10. Participate in proposal writing for fundraising activities
11. Developing of business growth strategies for the Centre.
12. Prepare budgets, work plans, performance and other reports
13. Performing any other duties as may be required from time to time by the UWEC management.
Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Business Administration and Certificate in Project Planning and Management will be an added advantage.
Experience 3 years’ experience in a similar facility and position, NGO environment or Private sector.
Persons interested in the above positions may submit applications, constituting of a cover letter, CV, certified copies of relevant academic documents. They should also give full contact address of at least three referees, one of whom must be from an organization they have previously worked. The application dossier should be addressed and e-mailed or hand delivered to:
The Executive Director,
Uganda Wildlife Conservation Education Centre,
Plot 56/57 Lugard Avenue, Entebbe.
Indicate the position you are applying for on the subject line of your email and or on the envelope if hand delivered.
Deadline to receive Applications: Tuesday 18 June, 2019 at 5:00pm.
For details about UWEC and the positions, please contact the website given above or contact by email: email@example.com or call Tel.0414 320 520, 0707 750 108 and 0788 788 456
Only Shortlisted Candidates will be contacted